Well, the gorgeous weather just keeps on going, and I’m not gonna question it. It’s not often that we have a proper autumn in Portland, and since it’s my favorite time of year I feel extra enthusiastic about it. Another thing I’m enthusiastic about: giveaways! We decided to partner with the amazing Honey Kennedy for a chance to win $100 in Flutter credit, which combined with October sunshine might take someone over the moon. Take note: if you’re our Facebook friend, you can enter twice. If you need inspiration, check out my favorites here. Good luck!
Yes, we know Flutter has a reputation for being a girly stronghold. But a quick look around reveals all manner of manly pleasures for the fathers in your life. Take a little tour…
And yes, we also have ties.You know, if you’re inclined that way.
Why hello there, Flutter friends! I must apologize for the delay between posts- here at the shop we have been making the transition from winter to spring, which is now pretty much complete! Cindy closed the shop last Wednesday and filled the shelves, couches, and tables with plenty of new colorful products- new scents, new books, and plenty of new oddities.
In a couple of days I will be sharing a bunch of film photographs of the spring-ready shop, but for now, let us recognize that Valentine’s Day has just about arrived! Have you picked out the perfect something for your sweetie? Your honey muffin? Your kitten kaboodle? If not, take a peek at some of my own favorite picks for this sweet holiday. And then stop in for your last-minute gifts!
1. Abstract Seahorse Pillow ($62), 2. Tokyo Milk Sugar Bomb No. 112 Mix and Match Perfume ($18.50), 3. Nouveau Locket Earrings ($40), 4. Silhouette: The Art of the Shadow ($65), 5. Voluspa Panjore Lychee Candle ($7.50), 6. Sibley Backyard Birding Flashcards: 100 Common Birds of Eastern and Western North America ($14.99), 7. Tokyo Milk Marine Sel No. 54 Hand Cream ($18.50), 8. Key Hook Pillow ($48), and 9. Peacock Ring ($30)
Enjoy Valentine’s Day, whether it be romantically with your significant other or bitterly with a dear friend- see you all in a couple of days! xo, Summer
First, I must tell you all to watch this lovely little Flutter video, shot by local filmmaker Justin Koleszar…
Doesn’t it just capture the shop perfectly? And oh, our sweet silly King, he does well in his moment of fame.
And now, more gift guides! Christmas is only four shopping days away, so come stop in the store, drink some free champagne and finish shopping for the men and women in your life with unique objects!
For the men…
1. Japanese Cinema ($35), 2. Compass Keychain ($8.50), 3. Red Army Cavalry Hat ($32), 4. Beetle Hook Pillow ($65), 5. “LOOKING FOR TROUBLE” Scrimshaw Horn Box ($32), 6. Cast Iron Jose Skull Bottle opener ($10), 7. Blackish Cicada Paper Weight ($12), and 8. Outlaws!: Adventures of Pirates, Scoundrels, and Other Rebels ($45)
For the ladies…
1. God Save The Queen Pillow ($58), 2. West Third Brand: Jardin d’Amour ($32), 3. Jane Necklace ($22), 4. Paper Cutting ($27.50), 5. Tokyo Milk Dead Sexy Hand Creme ($18.50), 6. Magnifying Glass Necklace ($22), 7. Voluspa Winesap Apple Spice Candle ($7.50), 8. Nudie Purse Mirror from Peru ($6.50), and 9. I Will Never Forget You…: Frida Kahlo to Nickolas Muray ($24.95)
Have a lovely pre-holiday week- I shall check-in again before Christmas arrives! xoxo
Good afternoon! First things first, I would like to let everyone know that both Flutter and Eden will be at The Portland Bazaar, an event I am extremely excited about. It will be held this Saturday and Sunday at Sandbox Studio and will feature DIY workshops, great local food carts, delicious spirits, and a huge selection of some of the best local and national shops/designers. It’s going to be fabulous, I know it. See you there?
And now, a Flutter gift guide. These are my picks from our online shop (which are also available in the store.) Next week I’ll share my gift picks available only in the brick & mortar shop, for all our lovely Portland locals.
1. The Art of Instruction: Vintage Educational Charts from the 19th and 20th Centuries ($35), 2. West Third brand Tonic: Tobacco 1812 ($26), 3. Café Noir Jar Candle ($30), 4. Hunt Club Trophy (resin) ($42), 5. Sail Away Pendant by Brehan Todd ($28), 6. Glass Glitter Letters Designed by Wendy Addison ($6.50), 7. 1800’s Penny Toy Ferris Wheel ($6.50), 8. Russian Coat of Arms Flask ($42), 9. Pretty Things ($19.95), 10. Tokyo Milk Dark : Cherry Bourbon Lip Elixir ($7.50), and 11. Renaissance Cuff ($28)
Good evening, folks. It is the end of Sunday and the beginning of autumn, which means I spent my day at Flutter listening to both the pounding rain and some lovely music (my favorites for rainy shop days? Nick Cave, Billie Holiday, and The Magnetic Fields.) Wanderers came in and out, soaked by the rain, but happy to be greeted by King, our ever-charming cat, and the coziness of the shop. I’ll tell you, I am a deep lover of this time of year. Crisp air, vibrant colors, scarf weather… and Halloween. I love Halloween. But we’ll get more into that next week.
Being a collector and design lover (see more here), there are many things inside Flutter that strike my fancy. Industrial furniture, inspiring books, vintage oddities, and one-of-a-kind dresses. Each week, I tend to snap some of my favorites on my phone just to keep track of random things I adore. On this fine Sunday, these are my picks…
1. little sailor boy ($24) and 2. Frida Kahlo book ($24.95)
3. alabaster stag ($70) and 4. black & white 1950s dress ($68)
5. Pretty Things, a burlesque history book ($19.99) and 6. vintage squirrel statue ($68)
7. garden gnome pillows ($45 each) and 8. antique fencing mask ($135)
Next post: Halloween time at Flutter- enjoy the week!
Good afternoon! This is Summer, your new summertime Sunday shopgirl (I do like the way that sounds.) I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying spending my weekend time in Flutter, surrounded by lovely oddities, gorgeous dresses, and intoxicating scents. And of course, having long conversations with King the shop-cat… he has quite the nightlife when the lights in the store go out, believe me. The tales are epic!
First I’d like to share some photos I have been taking during my time at the shop. I love taking pictures, and Flutter seems to be the perfect place for inspiration, even if just snapped on my iPhone…
Ah, a lovely place to be. And now, some of my favorite new (non-vintage) items I have been absolutely loving (all currently available at Flutter):
1. Tokyomilk’s Dark Bittersweet perfume- one of the best smells ever. There’s nothing quite like smelling as if you’ve been endulging in the finest dark chocolate.
2. The beloved frog prince bottle opener. He just makes me smile.
3. These dried bugs in glass paperweights are both a little eerie and breathtaking.
4. The Encyclopedia of the Exquisite has been fabulous to flip through while at the register. Did you know crickets used to be prized pets and champagne manufacturing was once a very dangerous occupation due to bottles exploding?
5. Another Tokyomilk product I am loving: Kabuki shea butter lotion. It smells like sugared citrus fruit and jasmine flowers and leaves your hands soft as silk.
6. Photobooth Dogs. Dogs. In photobooths. Need I say more?
7. I want to take these alphabet discs and hang banners all around my house of fanciful words.
8. I love all the masks we have in the store, but for some reason, this bear is my favorite. His face reminds me of old drawings from The Three Little Bears. This would make a mighty fine photobooth prop.
See you next week, for a summertime circus post! Au Revoir!
|Outside Flutter on Mississippi Avenue in Portland, Oregon|
|A view of the front window….and then we step inside the shop.|
|A brand new fashion book and an orange chair to read it in! Don’t mind if I do, thank you. I just need King to come and curl up in my lap, a coffee and I’ll be ready to settle in for the afternoon.|
|New Voluspa Candles in different sizes, the small one is perfect for travel|
|Hooked bird pillow, the colors are so pretty!|
|Oh, what’s this? Another new fashion book! Wow, this one is amazing! I can’t even tell you how much I love it.|
|Beautiful hooked owl pillow|
|This illustrated parrot book is one of the most beautifully illustrated works I have ever seen.|
|Magic-A must to add to any collection of curiosities!|
|Another amazing collector book! This one comes in a wooden case.|
|Cast iron mermaid bottle openers|
|Cast Iron Anchor Bottle Opener|
|Cast Iron Whale Bottle Opener|
|Cast Iron Mermaid Bottle Opener|
|Ocean Colors Hooked Rug|
|Thomas Paul Sail Seafarer Jute Pillow-This is my personal favorite!|
|Tokyo Milk Marine Sel #54 Solid Perfume-Wearing the scent of the ocean on your skin feels divine.|
|Anchor and Pearl Locket by Seaworthy|
|Vintage Crystal Earrings by Paper Treasure|
|Tropical Fishes of the East Indies Book|
|Paper Captain-Do It yourself punch out boats, just in time for Spring Break!|
|Hatch Show Print, the History of a Great American Poster|
This book shows photos of artists work from many countries in Asia, along with interviews and quotes, about this fascinating and evolving art genre. Far removed from the Western style of graffiti origins, these illustrations offer and entirely new perspective on modern art,from other countries, including Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, as well as China and the Philippines.
|The 1000 Journals Project|
|Berlin, Portrait of a City|
This photo is one of my favorite images from this picturesque book. Nothing is left untouched in this journey through Berlin, from the two world wars, to the strength in character of the people of this remarkable city. A photographic travel log into the history of one of the most interesting cities in the world. Berlin, Portrait of a City, has been called the most comprehensive book on Berlin ever made.
|The Vegetable Garden|
|Rosie Flo’s Travel Book|
|Photo Booth Dogs|
For fans of dogs (who isn’t), this is the most delightful little book of photo booth shots of dogs and those who love them. The author, Cameron Woo has included over 100 beautiful photos, spanning over eighty years, capturing the bond between man, woman and his and her, eternal, best friend.