Well, the gorgeous weather just keeps on going, and I’m not gonna question it. It’s not often that we have a proper autumn in Portland, and since it’s my favorite time of year I feel extra enthusiastic about it. Another thing I’m enthusiastic about: giveaways! We decided to partner with the amazing Honey Kennedy for a chance to win $100 in Flutter credit, which combined with October sunshine might take someone over the moon. Take note: if you’re our Facebook friend, you can enter twice. If you need inspiration, check out my favorites here. Good luck!
Why hello there, Flutter friends! I must apologize for the delay between posts- here at the shop we have been making the transition from winter to spring, which is now pretty much complete! Cindy closed the shop last Wednesday and filled the shelves, couches, and tables with plenty of new colorful products- new scents, new books, and plenty of new oddities.
In a couple of days I will be sharing a bunch of film photographs of the spring-ready shop, but for now, let us recognize that Valentine’s Day has just about arrived! Have you picked out the perfect something for your sweetie? Your honey muffin? Your kitten kaboodle? If not, take a peek at some of my own favorite picks for this sweet holiday. And then stop in for your last-minute gifts!
1. Abstract Seahorse Pillow ($62), 2. Tokyo Milk Sugar Bomb No. 112 Mix and Match Perfume ($18.50), 3. Nouveau Locket Earrings ($40), 4. Silhouette: The Art of the Shadow ($65), 5. Voluspa Panjore Lychee Candle ($7.50), 6. Sibley Backyard Birding Flashcards: 100 Common Birds of Eastern and Western North America ($14.99), 7. Tokyo Milk Marine Sel No. 54 Hand Cream ($18.50), 8. Key Hook Pillow ($48), and 9. Peacock Ring ($30)
Enjoy Valentine’s Day, whether it be romantically with your significant other or bitterly with a dear friend- see you all in a couple of days! xo, Summer
First, I must tell you all to watch this lovely little Flutter video, shot by local filmmaker Justin Koleszar…
Doesn’t it just capture the shop perfectly? And oh, our sweet silly King, he does well in his moment of fame.
And now, more gift guides! Christmas is only four shopping days away, so come stop in the store, drink some free champagne and finish shopping for the men and women in your life with unique objects!
For the men…
1. Japanese Cinema ($35), 2. Compass Keychain ($8.50), 3. Red Army Cavalry Hat ($32), 4. Beetle Hook Pillow ($65), 5. “LOOKING FOR TROUBLE” Scrimshaw Horn Box ($32), 6. Cast Iron Jose Skull Bottle opener ($10), 7. Blackish Cicada Paper Weight ($12), and 8. Outlaws!: Adventures of Pirates, Scoundrels, and Other Rebels ($45)
For the ladies…
1. God Save The Queen Pillow ($58), 2. West Third Brand: Jardin d’Amour ($32), 3. Jane Necklace ($22), 4. Paper Cutting ($27.50), 5. Tokyo Milk Dead Sexy Hand Creme ($18.50), 6. Magnifying Glass Necklace ($22), 7. Voluspa Winesap Apple Spice Candle ($7.50), 8. Nudie Purse Mirror from Peru ($6.50), and 9. I Will Never Forget You…: Frida Kahlo to Nickolas Muray ($24.95)
Have a lovely pre-holiday week- I shall check-in again before Christmas arrives! xoxo
Good afternoon! First things first, I would like to let everyone know that both Flutter and Eden will be at The Portland Bazaar, an event I am extremely excited about. It will be held this Saturday and Sunday at Sandbox Studio and will feature DIY workshops, great local food carts, delicious spirits, and a huge selection of some of the best local and national shops/designers. It’s going to be fabulous, I know it. See you there?
And now, a Flutter gift guide. These are my picks from our online shop (which are also available in the store.) Next week I’ll share my gift picks available only in the brick & mortar shop, for all our lovely Portland locals.
1. The Art of Instruction: Vintage Educational Charts from the 19th and 20th Centuries ($35), 2. West Third brand Tonic: Tobacco 1812 ($26), 3. Café Noir Jar Candle ($30), 4. Hunt Club Trophy (resin) ($42), 5. Sail Away Pendant by Brehan Todd ($28), 6. Glass Glitter Letters Designed by Wendy Addison ($6.50), 7. 1800’s Penny Toy Ferris Wheel ($6.50), 8. Russian Coat of Arms Flask ($42), 9. Pretty Things ($19.95), 10. Tokyo Milk Dark : Cherry Bourbon Lip Elixir ($7.50), and 11. Renaissance Cuff ($28)
Happy Sunday! I hope you all are feeling well-rested with an extra hour of sleep thanks to Daylight Savings Time. Today I have a few things to share. First, I must mention that our sister store Eden (located in the Pearl District) now has an online shop, as well as a stunning new lookbook! The photographs, by Annie Montgomery, were shot in a Washington Forest and feature beautiful jewelry and vintage clothing, models, and even furniture (yes, put in the middle of the trees.) I think it all turned out so beautifully, and am quite happy Eden goods can now be purchased from all over the USA!
Second, we have some new lovely items at Flutter that I’d like to share. All can be purchased in our shop, and most online…
1. ‘My Mom, Style Icon’ from Chronicle Books ($18.95), 2. Rock candy! ($2), 3. Super cute animal nodders are back ($10), 4. Antiqued corkscrews in various styles ($34), 5 and 6. New scents in lovely containers from Voluspa ($26 and $20), 7. Set of six spinning wooden tops ($12.50), and 8. ‘Instrument,’ also from Chronicle Books ($29.95)
And lastly, just some shots from my recent workdays. Every day I’m there, I can’t help snapping photographs. It’s just too dang pretty inside!
paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling.
pretty vintage garments all hung in a row.
a tray of old photographs. Loving that pretty lady on top.
King, mid-meow. He’s the best.
|Outside Flutter on Mississippi Avenue in Portland, Oregon|
|A view of the front window….and then we step inside the shop.|
|A brand new fashion book and an orange chair to read it in! Don’t mind if I do, thank you. I just need King to come and curl up in my lap, a coffee and I’ll be ready to settle in for the afternoon.|
|New Voluspa Candles in different sizes, the small one is perfect for travel|
|Hooked bird pillow, the colors are so pretty!|
|Oh, what’s this? Another new fashion book! Wow, this one is amazing! I can’t even tell you how much I love it.|
|Beautiful hooked owl pillow|
|This illustrated parrot book is one of the most beautifully illustrated works I have ever seen.|
|Magic-A must to add to any collection of curiosities!|
|Another amazing collector book! This one comes in a wooden case.|
|Cast iron mermaid bottle openers|
|Valentines : A Collection of Valentine’s Day Ephemera by Steven Heller and Jim Heimann
It is hard to believe another Valentine’s Day is approaching us! Since it’s one of my most favorite, if not favorite holidays, I’m counting down the final moments until the 14th. After being closed for a few days, the shop is back open with all sorts of new clothing, and vintage curiosities, jewelry and apothecary items. We are so inspired and excited for Spring! This year, for Valentine’s Day, we have a lovely selection of gifts for your sweetheart and everyone you love (which includes yourself, of course).
|How My Heart Flutters by Opulent Oddities|
|Sweetheart Locket Earrings by Paper Treasure|
|The Meteor by Paper Treasure|
|The Silvia by Paper Treasure
We are over the moon about all of the new fragrances and candles in our apothecary. I’m especially drawn to these new ceramic cased Voluspa candles in such unique scents! I cannot even begin to describe how truly delicious these candles smell, so I won’t even attempt. Stop by Flutter, and smell many new products from this amazing line. As always, but especially for Spring, we are brimming with beautiful treasures and there is always something for everyone and more at Flutter!
|Voluspa Macaron Ceramic Candle|
|Pink Glass Bead & Vintage key Necklace by Seaworthy|
|Classic Romantic Novels never go out of style-Great Expectations|
Autumn is my favorite time of year. It’s chilly but mostly dry, so you can wear suede boots and silky wooly things that might otherwise be destroyed in the rain. The smell of crunchy maple leaves and old musty roses and grapes really does it for me, and the anarchic disarray of overgrown front yards and gardens sprawl like an endless altar to fertility. Plus, there are all those end-of summer barbeques and bonfires and street parties. You might run into a unicorn, like I did! This time of year it’s also pretty safe to listen to otherwise paralysingly depressing music like the Smiths, or ‘Blood on the Tracks’. You could watch Harold and Maude, actually watching movies in general is more of a wintertime activity for me but there is something distinctly autumnal about that one. I’m including a ton of pictures of the shop to try and convey the way the end of September looks in here.